Sunday, September 15, 2019

The White Ship by H.P. Lovecraft


As I continue to read more of Lovecraft’s I’m beginning to understand some of the common themes, devices, and ideas that are being conveyed through his short stories and novellas. Being that I have only read a small portion of his more popular and notable works I might not have a full understanding of the scope that he takes in his writings. Knowing this though I found it interesting that The White Ship verged into almost a separate category compared to Lovecraft’s other work (or at least from what I’ve read so far). While retaining obviously New England imagery and setting in the lighthouse we quickly leave that place and explore mythical and fantastic lands. Where I believe, this breaks the norm for Lovecraft is in the fact that it’s not scientifically/rationally grounded. Obviously, most of his work is cosmic in scale but, even with this it always seems to be grounded in some kind of rationale. A scientist researching, an archeologist digging, or a doctor studying that taps into some kind of mythical magic of “The Great Old Ones”. In The White Ship though it seems to be just some kind of dream or vision that I have trouble taking literally. Where in most of his other stories, even if it explores insanely large and unexplainable ideas or situations I usually find myself taking it at face value. It seems that Lovecraft in this story verges into the metaphorical almost creating something that feels akin to one of the Greek myths. Like the Odyssey? Maybe the only reason that comes to mind is because of the boat.  A true “Myth” for the Cthulhu Mythos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers falling in the vain of Satire and Sci-fi, and being one of my favorite films pushed me to read the book...